Re: Japanese Painted Ferns

I think that the real point is that some people, like me, feel that most of
the recently named cultivars of the Japanese painted fern are not
sufficiently different from the general population, which shows considerable
variation, to deserve cultivar status and a separate name. ( Applegate is
one that does.)  It can cause considerable ill will when the plant and the
picture turn out to be so different when the plant grows on in the garden.
I have a group of six named cultivars in the Whitehall garden that were
provided by reputable growers. After the first flush it is hard to
distinguish them from a planting of 'Pictum'. I am reminded of a comment by
a British fern writer, which was to the effect, that the Victorians named
many ferns that were indistinguishable one from the other except to the
person who named it.

I happen to garden in the lower Ohio valley in northern Kentucky. Our
climate is similar to eastern Kansas in the Missouri river area, although
our average annual rainfall is probably higher.  My painted ferns are not in
deep shade and it is not cloudy most of the time. Some lady ferns, here,
like the European and native A. filix-femina will tolerate a significant
amount of sun as well as or better than the Japanese painted, and also
always get bigger than clones grown in the shade. The operative factor is
sufficient moisture. Also, like the Japanese painted, these ferns are
usually lighter in color than those in shade.

Ralph Archer in Louisville, KY

----- Original Message ----- From: "Duane Petersen" <dpetersen11@cox.net>