Re: Japanese Painted Ferns

Hello Jolanda,

The first place I saw Athryium niponicum forma metaliccum listed was in Motozi Tagawa's "Colored Illustrations of The Japanese Pteridophytes". This book was published in 1959 with text in Japanese and colored plates of pressed fronds. Since I do not read Japanese I cannot read the text but the inference from the index is that this refers to the colored form of A. niponicum. I looked through several Victorian fern volumes from the late 1890's and it appears as A. goringianum pictum early on. The goringianum seems to be from Hooker. I have found that the TC named forms do not come true when grown even under controlled conditions. Most of the them are impossible to pick out as a named form when mixed in with a typical spore grown population. I have taken to naming any form I like, such as 'Gandalf the White" and setting them around for unsuspecting TC trollers to come by. It helps me keep my sense of humor when dealing with all the customers that want to know why the painted fern they bought at their local nrusery does not look like the advertised photo. I don't know if you remember that we met in Germany when you joined the BPS tour last summer.
From the Fornderosa at the base of the Cascade Mts. in Washington state,
Judith I. Jones

Jolanda wrote:

Hi Fernatics all over the world,

The only book I could find, mentioning Athyrium 'metallicum', states it
as a synonym for Athyrium niponicum 'Pictum'. Is it really the same
thing, or is it one of the other cultivars in the group of Japanese
Painted Ferns?

Frondly regards

Jolanda Nel
(In an icy and white South Africa)