Red-faced replies...

  • Subject: [ferns] Red-faced replies...
  • From: "KONING, Ross E. (Biology)" KONING@easternct.edu
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:27:59 -0500

Just a memo to everyone out in the ferns mail-list...

Folks, the problems that Phil is experiencing are very
common in email-land.  Email that is sent to a list-server
(such as ferns@hort.net) goes to everyone on the list, and
the reply pointer in the message is altered to go to the
entire group list as well...not just the sender (originator)!

So, in this case, Phil sent a question out to the entire list
about the few fern photos on the web pages at hort.net.
Don sent a reply to Phil...which of course went to the entire
server list with the message about his beautiful fern photo
webpages.  When Phil did a reply to that message, it also
went to the entire server list...not just to Don.  This will happen
every time you do a simply reply.

To work around this, you need to open up a message that
you want to respond to privately, copy the From: email address,
hit reply, and replace ferns@hort.net in the To: field with a
paste of the individual's email address.

I can tell you that Phil is only frustrated...others have been truly
red-faced about this.  Others have sent romantic invitations that
they thought were going to a specific person...only to find out
that it went to the entire mailing list.  Another case I know about
in biology list-servers included a pornographic file attachment
that someone thought was going on a reply to a friend...it went
instead to the entire list to that person's embarrassment.  Apologies
were mailed to the list afterwards. I'm sure more than one person
is happy about the fact that ferns does not permit attachments...
that mistake would have simply bounced back to the person
doing the reply with attachment.

So watch that To: line when you do a reply to anyone...make sure
it is indeed listing ONLY the people you want to send to...before
you hit the SEND button.  Indeed email is "stupid" and needs to be
told where you want your messages to go.  And served messages
always default to the server for replies.

Finally, let me also say that email is no place for anything you
don't want to get public.  All kinds of email are captured and indexed
and served out to others in broad ways.  Your employer may be
monitoring. Your children may find out about your emails. Your
students (if you are a teacher) may find your email records in
simple internet searches, etc.  So it pays to be careful!

ross (list-dad)