Antenna Fern

  • Subject: [ferns] Antenna Fern
  • From: "Tom Stuart" tstuart@westnet.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:28:51 -0500

I recently obtained an Antenna Fern, also called Dryopteris pedata, on eBay. If
this last name is unfamiliar, it is for good reason. No such name is recorded.

A quick peek at a photo on a Netherlands site,

http://www.gifkikkerportaal.nl/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2978

plus the description of the fertile fronds, the "antennae", as having reflexed
margins holding the sporangia, gives the genus Doryopteris a foothold.

Doryopteris pedata is native to the Carribean and appears in commerce
occasionally. Here is a photo:

http://quilts.acphotolab.com/gallery/album17/Doryopteris_pedata_Hand_Fern_002

This photo is consistent with the description in Ferns of Puerto Rico, but
differs in several respects from the plant under the scope. D. pedata is only
moderately dimorphic whereas this is strongly so and this fern has proliferous
buds at the base of the sterile fronds (not visible on the Netherlands image)
whereas D. pedata lacks them.

Another fern from Mexico to South America is D. palmata, once considered a
variety of D. pedata. D. palmata does have proliferous buds, but does not match
in venation, the length of the stipe, or the indument (needle-like hairs on the
upper surface, whitish scales on the stipe, rachis, and lower blade surface).
Here's a photo ascribed to D. palmata, and consistent with the description in
"Ferns of Mexico."

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/92508/

I can find no Doryopteris on the web which lacks wings between the lowermost
pinna pair and the rest of the blade, again not evident in the Netherlands
photo. By now you are asking why I've said nothing about D. cordata, the name
on the first link. That is because I can find nothing on it. Your turn.

Tom Stuart
New York
Bonus: "free online translation" of the Dutch at the link.

>  Hello, this beautiful plantje brought with my mother yesterday for me of
>  the garden centre (ipv 2 nephrolepis marisa), I have what really found
>  information gezocht concerning this varen but nothing. Now I hope that
>  there here occasional someone is that these to type also and weet or you
>  them epifytisch can has let grow, because I think that it is beautiful
>  plantje for the back wall, can stand also very wet, therefore.

A fine epifytisch to everyone.