Re: Red-faced replies...

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Red-faced replies...
  • From: "Jo Wilson" jowilson1@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 00:04:37 +0000

I have been receiving very little fernmail recently - about two pieces a
week.  How can |I get back on the list?

>From: "KONING, Ross E. (Biology)" >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net >To:
"'ferns@hort.net'" >Subject: [ferns] Red-faced replies... >Date: Mon, 17
Mar 2003 10:27:59 -0500 > >Just a memo to everyone out in the ferns
mail-list... > >Folks, the problems that Phil is experiencing are very
>common in email-land. Email that is sent to a list-server >(such as
ferns@hort.net) goes to everyone on the list, and >the reply pointer in
the message is altered to go to the >entire group list as well...not just
the sender (originator)! > >So, in this case, Phil sent a question out to
the entire list >about the few fern photos on the web pages at hort.net.
>Don sent a reply to Phil...which of course went to the entire >server
list with the message about his beautiful fern photo >webpages. When Phil
did a reply to that message, it also >went to the entire server
list...not just to Don. This will happen >every time you do a simply
reply. > >To work around this, you need to open up a message that >you
want to respond to privately, copy the From: email address, >hit reply,
and replace ferns@hort.net in the To: field with a >paste of the
individual's email address. > >I can tell you that Phil is only
frustrated...others have been truly >red-faced about this. Others have
sent romantic invitations that >they thought were going to a specific
person...only to find out >that it went to the entire mailing list.
Another case I know about >in biology list-servers included a
pornographic file attachment >that someone thought was going on a reply
to a friend...it went >instead to the entire list to that person's
embarrassment. Apologies >were mailed to the list afterwards. I'm sure
more than one person >is happy about the fact that ferns does not permit
attachments... >that mistake would have simply bounced back to the person
>doing the reply with attachment. > >So watch that To: line when you do a
reply to anyone...make sure >it is indeed listing ONLY the people you
want to send to...before >you hit the SEND button. Indeed email is
"stupid" and needs to be >told where you want your messages to go. And
served messages >always default to the server for replies. > >Finally,
let me also say that email is no place for anything you >don't want to
get public. All kinds of email are captured and indexed >and served out
to others in broad ways. Your employer may be >monitoring. Your children
may find out about your emails. Your >students (if you are a teacher) may
find your email records in >simple internet searches, etc. So it pays to
be careful! > >ross (list-dad) > > > ---------- > > From: philip crabb >
> Reply To: ferns@hort.net > > Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 4:24 PM > >
To: ferns@hort.net > > Subject: Re: [ferns] Re: > > > > Hi Louwrens, > >
Sorry, I have no idea how that message came to you. Another person in > >
Texas > > got it also. It was a reply to a fernet message in which this
fellow > > Lubin > > answered my question about why there were no new
fern photos in the > > Hort.net > > gallery. I think I've about had it
with email. > > > > Thanks for writing. Phil > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
>From: "Louwrens Opperman" > > >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net > > >To: > >
>Subject: [ferns] Re: Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:52:13 +0200 > > > > > >Hi
Phil > > > > > >You sent me a message ............. and I wonder if you
had the wrong > > >address?? > > > > > >You mentioned the name "Mr.
Lubin" ........... that's not me. > > >Louwrens Opperman at this end. > >
am just > > >trying to make sure that you do not expect a reply from
someone that did > > >not > > >receive your mail > > > > > >Regards > > >
> > >Louwrens > > > > > >Louwrens Opperman (Pretoria, South Africa) > >
>now on the www with my Platycerium site at > > >www.platycerium.co.za >
crabb" > > >To: > > >Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 8:37 AM > > > > > >
with your fine photos and > > > > interesting website. Thank you. > > > >
Phil Crabb > > > > > > > >