Re: Red-faced replies...

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Red-faced replies...
  • From: David Nicholls nicholls@u030.aone.net.au
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 20:58:38 +1000

On 5/12/2003 10:04 AM, Jo Wilson wrote:
> I have been receiving very little fernmail recently - about two pieces
> a week.  How can |I get back on the list?

There has been very little traffic on the list for quite a while.

Something to get things moving.  Some of you may have heard of the
bushfires that hit Canberra back in January.  Around 90% of the entire
area of the Australian Capital Territory was burnt by the worst fires in
recorded history, including some very fine fern country (as well as 500+
houses in Canberra itself).  Curiously, though, one report said that the
only green to be seen in the mountains a few weeks after the fires were
Dicksonia treeferns along the mountain creeks.

The drought in SE Australia is starting - I hope - to come to an end.
The forest country in the Bega Valley is showing a great improvement
(this area wasn't subject to the bushfires) and the numerous Cyathea
australis treeferns along the road from Brown Mountain down into the
valley are looking particularly good, all sprouting new fronds.  They
had been looking decidedly seedy for some months.

DN
Canberra

--

David Nicholls