Re: Name of this fern?

  • Subject: [ferns] Re: Name of this fern?
  • From: "Larry Shone" greenlarry@ntlworld.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 16:33:00 +0100

Well, having looked through a book I have I believe it could be Broad Buckler
Fern (Dryopteris dilitata).
I noticed last year it had indusae arranged in a way consistent with the
arrangement adopted by this plant,(small circular dots)  and the pinnules look
similar, but it hasnt had a chance to get a decent size yet as it was confined
to a bonsai pot all last year. It must have blown in from a spore somehow as
it turned up quite unnanounced in that pot, and at first it looked cool as an
accent to the bonsai but it soon got too big, so I planted it out when it came
time to repot the bonsai.
I then decided to pot the fern up in good soil so I could keep a close eye on
it and confirm its ID.
It will be planted outside later on in the front garden which is north facing
and cooler.
And yes I am in the UK-tho you probably guessed that by now ;)

I'm a little confused by this statement:
you have accomplished a first: no one else here has
admitted liking any plant that is not a fern

I find it hard to limit myself to one group of plants-I want to grow
everything possible!;)

BTW, I take it  one normally simply replies  to the emails thus posting the
reply up on hort.net,as I noticed no URLs in the email replies i get.