RE: Re: ferns DIGEST V1 #166

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] Re: ferns DIGEST V1 #166
  • From: "Winter, Wim de" Wim.dewinter@wur.nl
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:08:46 +0200

The young croziers when they appear are protected by very thin chaffy scales, that remain on the stipe when the leave is fully expanded. I think it is what you call "brown papery sheaths".

On the expanded leaf's stipe  the scales are of course more sparsely set. They look like rough, long triangles with their short base attached to the plant. In D. carthusiana the scales are uniformly coloured pale brown. D. dilatata, however, has in addition a longitudinal blot of very dark brown to black running over the centre of the scales. It is very easy to see.