Re: horsetail close-ups

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] horsetail close-ups
  • From: "Larry Shone" greenlarry@ntlworld.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 20:04:31 +0100

I wanted a macro lens for years but like you say they can be expensive. But
luckily i got given a Vivitar 100mm macro from a friend, and yet to buy this
lens new would cost little more than a set of extension tubes, and it is
very light and clear.(Would cost less than #100 in england)
I have discovered that a set of extension tubes for canon EOS is incredibly
expensive, and if you use M42 mount ones with an adaptor you lose all your
metering options, and flash is a nightmare to work out!

It uses a lens that attaches to the front to give 1:1 -it gives half
lifesize without it.
Attaching a 50mm onto it in reverse gives 2x and no light loss(I can still
use TTL flash, how cool is that!)
In fact in good light I could probably hand hold a 'desperate' shot!
Regards
Larry