From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net] On Behalf Of
Winter, Wim de
Sent: Tuesday, 24 May 2005 4:25 AM
To: ferns@hort.net
Subject: RE: [ferns] horsetail close-ups

Larry,

I haven't tried yet to couple a lens reversely onto another one. But I just
tried pressing two lenses together and found that a single reversed lens
(28mm) gives a clearer picture and higher magnification than 28+R50, 50+R50,
or 80+R50.

I assume with "macro lens" you mean the telelens type with a macro position,
not the premount filter lens. I have several reasons not to use such a macro
lens for plants (animals are a different story!). First they tend to be
heavy
and quality optics are awfully expensive. But they can be easily mimic-ed by
an ordinary tele-lens with an additional extension tube element. But even
then
the working distance is often too large to be convenient. Furthermore, my
plants are slow movers, so as long as nobody bumps my desk, the shutter can
remain open for hours if necessary. Just as long I got enough light to
focus.

With my present set-up however, I can use old-fashioned, cheap but high
quality East-German optics that are readily available on the 2nd hand
marked.
Moreover, the extension tubes confine the light to the central parts of the
lens, where distortions and aberrations are the least. It's not yet
optimized,
but remember this was only my first try.

Wim