Woodsia obtusa and Phegopteris hexagonoptera research

  • Subject: [ferns] Woodsia obtusa and Phegopteris hexagonoptera research
  • From: "Matthew Wild" mwild@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:07:33 -0400

I am a PhD student at the Universite du Quebec in Montreal. I am currently
working on the causes of rarity of some fern species in Canada. For two of the
species, blunt lobed woodsia (Woodsia obtusa subsp. obtusa) and broad beech
fern (Phegopteris hexagonoptera), I plan to do some spore count and spore
germination experiments. I would like to be able to compare both spore
production and spore viability between indivduals from Canadian populations
(at the northern edge of these species' distributions) with individuals from
populations further south (towards the centre of the species' ranges).

I was wondering if there are any people on this list who would be interested
in helping me collect specimens of these two species. They would need to be
collected after spore production in the fall, and sent to me in Montreal. I
would be interested in specimens from anywhere across the species' range, but
especially on an approximate north-south transect from southern Ontario/Quebec
to Tennessee.

If anyone is interested or has any questions, feel free to contact me

Matthew Wild
Dipartement des Sciences Biologiques
Universiti du Quibec ` Montrial
CP 8888 Succ. Centre-ville