RE: Lecanopteris

  • Subject: RE: Lecanopteris
  • From: "Charles Alford" <chasalford@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:53:38 -0400

I have always found it interesting that Dr. Wistuba states that the
lecanopteris species are easy to grow.  Most of my customers report having
difficulty with them.  There may be a difference in the water quality in the
EU, compared to most U.S. sources.

A few may prefer cooler temperatures, but some thrive in heat.  Most grow
anywhere in my greenhouse, and they did well even in my extremely hot,
sawtooth greenhouse, before it was destroyed by hurricanes.

It is more likely that water quality, specifically high pH, is a problem.

Like all ant-inhabited plants, they need acidic media, and good fertility.
Some are essentially twig epiphytes, and these plants are typically fast
growing, and short-lived.  They tend to be shallow rooted, and need to be
watered frequently, but will not tolerate boggy conditions.

Once the needs of the plant are met, they are vigorous growers.

Charles