RE: Lecanopteris

  • Subject: RE: Lecanopteris
  • From: Andreas Wistuba <andreas@wistuba.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:09:16 +0200
  • Accept-language: de-DE, en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: de-DE, en-US

Dear Charles,
you bring up a very interesting idea.
In fact as I started with Lecanopteris as a Carnivorous Plant (CP) grower I
used my water for plants such as Nepenthes or Heliamphora which I still do.
Most CPs are very picky about too much minerals in the water and so I as well
as most other Carnivorous Plant growers use demineralized water.
In fact, as most of my customers are CP growers as well I guess most of them
water their Lecanopteris with soft water as well which might be essential but,
honestly, I never gave any thought on that. All I can say (and it's more than
a statement) is that for me and many of my customers they are very easy as
long as you keep them away from slugs, snails and fern scales. They also don't
like frequent misting too much, but all that's happening are ugly spots on the
leaves.
BTW, Lecanopteris, after having been sold through my CP nursery for some years
now, became kind of adopted by Carnivorous plant growers and it's very funny
for me seeing discussions about them in CP-forums.
I grow my plants under the same conditions as I grow Nepenthes and Heliamphora
and never lost a plant through overwatering. In fact many are kept quite wet.
All the best
Andreas