Red ferns

Hi Everyone,

Some species and genera of ferns tend to come up with red new fiddleheads, while
others hold that color to maturity,  most do not. Blechnum is a genus that tends
to have red in the genes that expresses very often. Often in the Andes you will
see Blechnum species with gorgeous red color when there is a flush of new fronds,
spectacular photos to say the least. They often grow at some considerable
altitude. The species that grow in the Amazon basin do not seem to have the color
that those that grow higher up have. I guess what I am saying is there may be
many factors that account for the red color in ferns, from altitude, light, genus
and I bet there are more attributable scenarios to be had. Some of the adiantums
have that very same flush of beautiful color with new fronds and there are many
other ferns that do the same.

Betsy