Re: Sadleria cyatheoides

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Sadleria cyatheoides
  • From: "Keith Rogers" kerogers@lm.net.au
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:18:55 +1030

Hi Dean and others

There are a few different species of Sadleria, some do grow together.

The first actually in another genus, Gymnogramma wagneriana (Kaua'i), S.
unisora (400-1550m only Kaua'i ), S. squarrosa (400-1550m), all are similar
to S. cyatheoides (75-2200m) plus S. pallida (25-2150m), S. soulteyetiana
400-1500m) and a few inbetween.

I have been puzzled for some years over a non-red supposedly S. cyatheoides
sold in Aust.  I had two similar species until recently when the red one
died and had a thought that the one sold here is either not S. cyatheoides
but another species.

Murphies law comes into the picture, almost to the day I got hold of the
keys to check out the spore pattern, they both went backwards till one died.
My original now 12 years old is looking better much to my relief.

Hope this adds some promising thought.

Kindest regards

Keith Rogers
Mannum South Australia

On the web with Keith's Fern Page at
www.lm.net.au/~kerogers/

Supporting the Fern Society of South Australia Inc at
www.chariot.net.au/~saufern/