Re: Ferns anyone?

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Ferns anyone?
  • From: "Brian Aikins" brian@GREATNORTHERN.NET
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 01:32:54 -0800

I have no experience growing C. membranacea but it is described in
Copeland's FERN FLORA OF THE PHILIPPINES as being very similar or possibly
the same as C. macrophylla which grows on tree trunks in lowland ravines.
Holttum's FERNS OF MALAYA notes that C. macrophylla grows on trees and
shrubs to a few feet above the ground, usually near streams.  It also has
been found growing on rocks.

To match its habitat, you might try growing it on a vertical substrate in
warm, humid air and relatively low light.

As for your spore culture, you could try transferring some small clumps to a
new container while keeping the original.  That would give a variety of
growing conditions which increases your chance of success.  I've noticed
that gametophytes on fresh soil often grow faster but sometimes the
sporophyte stage is delayed.

Regards,

Brian Aikins