Adiantum lovers

  • Subject: [ferns] Adiantum lovers
  • From: "Brian Swale" bj@caverock.net.nz
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:40:41 +1300

Hi all

Doret wrote
> Hi Everyone,
> I wanted to know if there are people out there who are particularly interested
> in Adiantums?
> I love these ferns and want to talk to people who are as interested in them as I
> am.
> Please let me know your private e-mail address and we can chat without boring
> the rest of the group.

Surely this group is quiet enough to be able to cope with such discussions;
and in fact we need the activity.

Why not share the enthusiasm and knowledge by having the discussion

I am currently growing ( I think) Adiantum formosum from spore harvested
more than a year ago, and I raised in this group the matter of getting the
prothalli to produce sporophytes.

I was advised to flood the prothalli (which are now many months old) with
water ( one person suggested dilute nutrient solution). I flooded them with
water for about 18 hours which I thought would enable the spermatozooids to
swim to the archegonia. Four weeks later it looks as though this might have

I didn't use dilute nutrient solution as the prothalli are already growing on
sterilised soil and I think there are sufficient nutrients available there to get
into solution. Also, I do not consider that nutrient would enhance the
swimming of the spermatozooids.

Brian Swale