From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net] On Behalf Of Bob
Needham
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 8:34 AM
To: ferns@hort.net
Subject: [ferns] scale!

...and I don't mean the weighing kind!
...or the fish kind!
...or a ruler!
...not the size of a model, either!
...or to climb a mountain!
...not a series of musical notes!
...or a skin disease!
...or to measure something!
...or a modified leaf protecting a seed plant bud before expansion!
...or a hard incrustation usually rich in sulfate of calcium that is
deposited
   on the inside of a vessel (as a boiler) in which water is heated!
   (O.K., I copied the last two out of the Dictionary when I was running out
of
    ideas.) Maybe it was tricks like that that prompted my High School
English
    teacher to give me a "D-"! Heck, I think it was just because she was
crabby
    for looking remarkably like one of these orange flying beetles I have
    buzzing around the place (but with only two legs, and on steroids, to
boot).

But seriously, folks, I really AM looking for a photo of the flying form of
brown
scale, which I have been told exists. I suspect that the little
caramel-colored
beetles I previously described could be a flying form of scale, or else
perhaps
relatives of my High School English Teacher that have come back to haunt me.
have been unable to find much on the subject or any images, and any help or
URL
references would be appreciated.

I did find this much, though:
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=39658&query=armored%20scale&ct=

...which would make for humorous reading were it not for terms like this:
"32,000 species!" (Heaven help us!)
"sucking mouthparts" (gotta sleep with the hall light on again now!)
"two ocelli" (In our High School orchestra, we had only one Cello)
"Head not prolonged in front" (See? That sounds like my High School English
Teacher!)
"Second segment of hind tarsus large" (yep, that's her!)
"clavus with numerous small pustule-like tubercles" (she had plenty of
pustules...)
"jumping plant lice" (that sounds like her relatives!)
"sexual forms with the mouthparts atrophied and not functional" (Yeah, I
couldn't
    imagine her being into that...)
"dog-day harvest-flies" (Eeeuuww, that's just a bad, BAD word-image!!!!
                         Who writes for Britannica, anyway?)

My secret plan is to collect all the scale from the face of the planet and
put them
on a rocketship to the sun....  ;^>

-Any help would be appreciated,
-Thanks,