Pilularia americana

  • Subject: [ferns] Pilularia americana
  • From: "Don Crank" <dcrank@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:49:48 -0600

When does Pilularia americana produce sporocarps? I live in Hot Springs,
Arkansas near Garvan Woodland Gardens which has 4 1/2 miles of shoreline on
Lake Hamilton and P. americana is prolific. Beginning Nov. 6, 2004 the lake
was drawn down 5 feet and I observed the plants and found it still growing
at what would have been the 5 1/2 foot level yet found no sporocarps. Since
it grows submerged, how does one determine the time of producing sporocarps?