Re: "Where the Red Fern Grows"

In addition to Blechnum, red is common on new growth throughout the
Blechnaceae. However, the Blechnaceae are not common in Oklahoma. The
only member of the family native to OK is Woodwardia areolata, and its
spring growth is better described as reddish rather than red.

The only other North American fern that comes to mind with reddish new
growth and with distribution in Oklahoma would be Adiantum pedatum. The
coloration is only a fraction of that in the closely related (and often
subsumed in pedatum) A. japonicum, a fiery orange-red, a candidate for
most intensely colored fern in the world, not obviously a denizen of

"Where the Red Fern Grows" is a tear-jerker novel used in classrooms to
teach vocabulary and criticism. Here is an excerpt from a teaching site,

... where you can visit if I have short-sheeted you.

From the summary of chapter XIX:

> Chapter XIX Summary:
> One night three weeks after the championship, Billy's dogs chase what he
> thinks is a bobcat. They have killed them before, but Billy thinks it is
> an unnecessary risk. They tree the cat, and Old Dan is especially vicious.
> Billy realizes they have not treed a bobcat, but a dangerous mountain
> lion.
> The lion jumps out of the tree and fights the dogs. Little Ann is wounded,
> and Billy joins in the fight with his ax. The lion turns on Billy, but his
> dogs protect him. The fight continues down the mountain. The lion has Old
> Dan's throat, but Billy lodges the ax in its back. The dogs finish it off
> as it tries to get to Billy. Billy faints and wakes up. The lion is dead
> and the dogs are still holding on to it with their jaws.
> Billy pries them off and inspects them. They are both injured, but Old Dan
> is far worse off. He leads them home, but soon discovers that the lion had
> slashed Old Dan's belly, and his entrails have come out. Billy puts them
> back in Old Dan's belly and carries him home. Mama helps Billy bathe Old
> Dan and sew up his belly before they tend to Little Ann. But Old Dan dies.
> Billy stays up at night next to his body. Little Ann joins them and
> snuggles up next to Old Dan. Billy runs outside and cries in the early
> morning.
> In the morning, Billy buries Old Dan in a crude box by a red oak tree. Two
> days later, he finds that Little Ann will not eat and has lost the will to
> live. Billy force-feeds her for a few days, but it does no good. She is
> missing one day, and he finds her dead on top of Old Dan's grave. Mama
> joins Billy at the grave and tells him he did nothing wrong and that
> everyone must suffer sometimes. He rejects the idea of getting new dogs
> and says that he no longer believes in prayer, since he prayed for his
> dogs and they have died. They cover Little Ann's body in leaves and go
> back to the house.
> Papa shows Billy the money his dogs have earned; they now have enough
> money to move to town. Mama and Papa had decided to let Billy help out
> Grandpa in the store so he could remain with his dogs for a while, but
> they knew that was not a good solution. Papa believes God did not want to
> break up the family like this, so he took the lives of Billy's dogs.
> Billy cries during the night and Mama tries to comfort him, though she
> cannot think of any way to do it. The next morning, Billy buries Little
> Ann by Old Dan, carves their names into a red sandstone, and places it by
> their graves. Mama reassures him that his dogs are in heaven, and Billy
> feels a little better.
> Analysis:
> The mountain lion episode demonstrates not just loyalty but love, as one
> of the men in Chapter XVIII said. Loyalty is too weak a word for what the
> dogs and Billy do for each other. Rawls makes the dogs' final actions
> [...]
Bottom line: the red fern is a myth.

Tom Stuart
New York
Who has been irritated no end by having Amazon's site show up when trying
to google ferns.