Re: Platycerium superbum

Hi Bill:

According to Roy Vail's book, page 71, addresses the
issue of name.  "In 1970 Joneheere and Hennipman
separated P. Grande from P. Superbum.  The limited the
name P. grande to the plants on the Philippines, and
gave the name P. superbum to the plants in
Australia."  Roy does say that P. Grande has two
large equal lobes of spore vs. one for P. superbum.
Perhaps Roy will comment.

I have talked with Keith Rogers and he says that P.
superbum can take on different trates in the wild even
though they are the same plant.

Those selling the plant in the US refer to it as P.
superbum (formally P. Grande).

I have noticed variations in color light green vs dark
green and the length of the fingers at the top vary.
I am sure everyone has a differing opinion but I say
they are one in the same.

Dan Clemons
Escondido, CA

--- "William F. Clendenin"
<clendenin@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have a large P. superbum that for years has
> produced normal once forked
> fronds with a single spore patch. This year it
> produced a twice forked frond
> with two spore patches, like P.grande. Any ideas?
Is