Re: Platycerium superbum

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Platycerium superbum
  • From: "Keith Rogers" kerogers@lm.net.au
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:41:12 +0930

Hi Dan

The problem as I see it, P. grande has been described as having these two
spore lobes and people think that having two fertile fronds are it, but not
so.  It has a or multiple fertile fronds and each spore area is divided into
two parts.

I agree with the diversity of color and as with my Lobed the lack of hair or
the most common the hairy version.

Selling the plant as P. superbum formally P. grande to me means it is not
the true Philippines P. grande.  Well unless Miles tells it is it.

By Bills comment, it is still P. superbum as the spore patch does not have a
defined separation into two parts on the one lobe.

Keith