Re: Platycerium superbum

Hi Bill:

I have come to learn of the differences between P.
superbum and P. Grande that are worth sharing.  They
really are not the same plant although often confused
especially when young.  When small, they are very hard
to tell apart.

1.	The fronds or fingers or lobes on P. superbum grow
at a 90-degree angle to the shield where P. grande
fronds or fingers or lobes extend from the shield
without the bend.
2.	The bud on P. superbum is almost dead center in
middle of the shield where the bud on P. Grande is
located in the lower third of the shield.
3.	The last difference is that P. superbum can take
temperatures down to freezing where P. grande cannot.

Thanks to your question, I too have learned something.

Dan Clemons
Escondido, CA

--- "William F. Clendenin" <clendenin@comcast.net>