Athyrium color??

  • Subject: [ferns] Athyrium color??
  • From: "Redman, Julia" jredman@tigr.org
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:54:42 -0400

Hi,
I recently purchased 2 Athyrium ferns (painted ferns), varieties Ursula's
Red and Silver Falls.  Both are supposed to be brilliantly colored with
silver, pink, and red, and not fade to green.  I received 2 very small ferns
that were green.  When I called the company, customer service told me that
the ferns have to be in the ground for a year before the color starts to
show.  I asked if there was any nutrient dependency for the color, and was
told no.  Can someone confirm that this is the truth & shed some light on
why this is the case?  I believe both are tissue cultured varieties.

I appreciate!

Julia

Julia Redman
The Institute for Genomic Research