Re: Athyrium color??

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Athyrium color??
  • From: Duane Petersen dpetersen11@cox.net
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:14:29 -0500

Hi Julia.
I've raised many kinds of Japanese Painted, and almost all are very slow to show any color. Normally it takes about a year to show their true colors whether they are in a pot or in the ground seems to make little difference. Now, do me a favor and e-mail me the source of your painted ferns if you would. Thanks. Duane Petesen

Redman, Julia wrote:

I recently purchased 2 Athyrium ferns (painted ferns), varieties Ursula's
Red and Silver Falls.  Both are supposed to be brilliantly colored with
silver, pink, and red, and not fade to green.  I received 2 very small ferns
that were green.  When I called the company, customer service told me that
the ferns have to be in the ground for a year before the color starts to
show.  I asked if there was any nutrient dependency for the color, and was
told no.  Can someone confirm that this is the truth & shed some light on
why this is the case?  I believe both are tissue cultured varieties.

I appreciate!

Julia Redman
The Institute for Genomic Research
9712 Medical Center Dr.