Re: Staghorns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Staghorns
  • From: "Margaret Nimmo-Smith" margaret@monksilver.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:35:22 -0000

Hi Doret
I used to correspond with a keen amateur fern grower in South Africa who
grew a lot of things from spores.  So I don't think you should give up -
check out more growing advice from growers from similar climates.  I can't
help too much as I live in cold England.
First thing is to get fresh spores which you did from Keith.  The next step
is sterility.  Sterilise the pot and  the surface of the compost.  Then
enclose with a clean polthene bag or piece of glass and stand in good
indirect light.  This may mean somewhere cool for you.  As platyceriums come
from hot countries they presumeably germinate at quite high temperatures.
Get advice - have another go!
Best wishes
Margaret (Nimmo-Smith)
Cambridge, UK