Off topic (maybe)

  • Subject: [ferns] Off topic (maybe)
  • From: "chris ed" <cle11104@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:09:07 -0400

10 22 04
Visitors to NYC are welcome to the meetings. For subway travel instructions kindly contact: cle11104@hotmail.com privately.

NY Fern Society Oct. letter
October 13, 2004

Dear Members and Friends,
It was good to get together again after the summer and share our fern adventures at the Oct 2 meeting. Catharine Allen gave a report on the summer field trips (thank you, Catharine, for your outstanding job organizing the trips! And thanks also to the foray leaders and garden hosts.) There were PowerPoint presentations by Carol Mickel (Connecticut River and the ferns on Gillette Castle walls) and Hal Avery, who got us all excited about the Pine Barrens. Oliver Sacks shared his personal Costa Rican journal, and Tom Stuart brought in fern plants for our gardens. Many thanks to all who contributed!

The next meeting will be held November 6, as usual from 10 am to 1 pm in the New York Botanical Garden Museum Building on the fourth floor, in the herbarium lunch area. Bring your lunch; coffee and tea will be provided. Suzy Ludwig will talk to us about ferns as house or apartment plants. There will be ferny pots for sale and also some indoor ferns. Should be informative and fun. Robbins new book, A Natural History of Ferns, will be available as will my Pteridophytes of Mexico; the authors will be ready with pens in hands!

Dues will remain at $10 for the coming year and are due and payable at either of the next two meetings or by mail. Checks should be made payable to The New York Botanical Garden.

Two of our members, Scott Mori and Carol Gracie are leading New York Botanical Garden-sponsored, natural history trips to Greece - Mani Peninsula, April 2 - 11, 2005, and to the Amazon in July. Call Carol at 718/817-8647 or email to cgracie@nybg.org for more information.

The next several meetings: Nov. 6, Dec. 4, Jan. 8 (Robbin Moran on Uses of Ferns by People) and Feb.5 (John Mickel on fern cultivation). Mark your calendars and we look forward to seeing you November 6.

Sincerely,

John Mickel
Chapter Secretary >