Re: Spore request

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Spore request
  • From: XericFerns@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:16:39 EDT

Dear Darren,

I am quite familiar with the UCBG xeric fern collection. I believe that I
have most, if not all of what they have, at least of what is planted in the
garden itself, but thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding your proposed 'dry rockery' and xeric ferns, I can't say that I
know of any other commercial sources of plants (hence my search for spore of
other species), but I might be able to contribute some as time goes on. Good,
reliable ferns that I can recommend are: Pellaea andromedifolia, P.  mucronata,
P. truncata, P. wrightii, Bommeria hispida, Notholaena  grayi, N. lemmonii,
N. standleyi, Cheilanthes lindheimeri, C.  eatonii, C. tomentosa, C. wrightii,
C. covillei (of Arizona  extraction), C. villosa, C. bonariensis, C. wootonii,
C. yavapensis, Astrolepis  sinuata, A. cochisensis, A. intergerrima, A.
windhamii, and  Argyrochosma limitanea. I currently have small plugs or  shareable
plant material of those that are underlined. I have just sown spore of  most
of the other ferns mentioned.

For me, in Bakersfield, these are the easier of the CA/AZ xerics to  grow.
Some of the CA material tends to resent summer watering, especially here  in the
southern San Joaquin Valley with an abundance of summer temps. in excess  of
F. 100 Possibly, south of the Grapevine with a bit of ocean moderation during
the summer, some of our CA plants would be more amenable to cultivation.

Good luck and feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Sincerely,
David Schwartz