Re: ferns in literature

Another literature reference from France (with my own approximate translation)

"Nous laissons loin derrihre nous cette premihre gorge alpestre, oy nous avions passi la matinie. Les chbtaigniers disparaissent, de petites broussailles leur succhdent ; les pentes deviennent plus rudes ; de hautes foughres les tapissent ; g` et l`, les grosses campanules bleues et les digitales pourpries les drapent de leurs fleurs. Bienttt tout cela disparant encore. Il n'y a plus que de la mousse et des pierres roulantes sur les flancs des montagnes".
Confidences, A. de Lamartine

" Far behind us we leave this first Alpine gorge, where we had spent the morning. The chestnut trees disappear, small schrubs succeed to them; the slopes become harder; high ferns luxuriate; here and there, large blue bellflowers and foxgloves drape them with their flowers. Soon all that disappears. There is nothing left but mosses and rolling stones on the mountains slopes".
Confidences, A. de Lamartine

Regards

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc et Annie Destombes