Re: ferns in literature

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] ferns in literature
  • From: Catharine Guiles cguiles@maine.rr.com
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:04:09 -0400
Mr. Busby,
    Here is the Bronte poem, which apparently has no title.  According to
the Bronte society member who found it for me (I only knew the fourth
stanza), it is attributed to Emily Bronte, but may be by her sister
    Catharine Guiles

Often rebuked, yet always back returning
       To those first feelings that were born with me,
And leaving busy chase of wealth and learning
       For idle dreams of things which cannot be:

Today, I will seek not the shadowy region;
       Its unsustaining vastness waxes drear;
And visions rising, legion after legion,
       Bring the unreal world too strangely near.

I`ll walk, but not in old heroic traces,
       And not in paths of high morality,
And not among the half-distinguished faces,
       The clouded forms of long-past history.

I`ll walk where my own nature would be leading:
       It vexes me to choose another guide:
Where the grey flocks in ferny glens are feeding;
       Where the wild wind blows on the mountain side.

What have those lonely mountains worth revealing?
       More glory and more grief than I can tell:
The earth that wakes one human heart to feeling
       Can centre both the worlds of Heaven and Hell.