Re: Christmas Ferns

Update*: Forms of Christmas Fern, Polystichum acrostichoides.

I have documented over 30 distinct pinnae forms of the Christmas fern.
Eventually I hope to have about six forms worthy or cultivation. To date I
have examined hundreds of herbarium specimens at the Academy of Natural
Sciences, Philadelphia; the Smithsonian Herbarium, Washington, D.C.; and the
Herbarium at the New York Botanical Garden; and elsewhere.  I have located a
number of forms in the wild and in gardens. Unfortunately, most of the
garden specimens have no documentation. I'd appreciate any help in locating
living forms in public or private gardens and any documentation of these
specimens. Contact me at johndscott@mindspring.com .
John D. Scott

*Scott, John D. (2002) The Victorian Fern Craze and the American Christmas
Fern, Hardy Fern Foundation Quarterly, 12(2): 43-44.
Horrocks, James (1997) Polystichum acrostichoides, Christmas Fern. Hardy
Fern Foundation Quarterly, 7(1): 8.