Re: Curious

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Curious
  • From: "New York Bulb Society Lawrence edmonds" cle11104@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:56:38 -0400

(Forwarded by: C. Lawrence Edmonds  Member, New York Fern Society)

September 10, 2002
Dear members and friends,
Wow, it seems to have been a long, hot summer but the Labor Day rain revived our gardens. Being in the peaceful outdoors is a comfort to us as we approach the sad remembrance of last year. Enjoying the beautiful areas around us was made possible this suborner with fern forays, organized again this year by Catharine Allen. Thank you, Catharine, for putting together such an outstanding foray schedule! Thanks also to those who led us this summer - Michael Penziner, Hal Avery, and Jim Montgomery. This is an important and meaningful part of our fern activities.
Our first meeting for the 2002-2003 year will be October 5, and we are in for a special treat! Dr. Alan Smith, Curator of Ferns at the University of California, Berkeley, will be our speaker, so mark your calendars and invite your friends. He and I are putting the finishing touches on the Ferns of Mexico -a monumental work which has occupied me off and on for 40 years! Alan is also a world authority on the genus Thelypteris (including locally the marsh fern, NY fem. narrow and broad beech hems) and will be speaking on "Thelypteris: insights into the 'inordinate fondness' hypothesis". Come and find out what that means!
Our program will also include our shared summer experiences of a ferny nature, so please bring in things for our Show 'n Tell. I'm sure we will hear from Robbin Moran, who was in Costa Rica for two months teaching a graduate course in plant systematics. As usual we will be meeting in the herbarium lunch area on the fourth floor (through the Watson Bldg entrance), from 10 am to 1 pm. Bnng your lunch; coffee and tea will be provided. If you have extra plants to share we would love to add them to our raffle.
This summer, one of our illustrious members, Tom Morgan, was honored by the Kent Town Board (Putnam County), joined by the Kent Conservation Committee, with a proclamation thanking Tom for his tireless efforts in the area of environmental conservation and education. Tom is very special to us and Asplenium morganii, which he discovered, has been named for him. Tom, we add our congratulations and best wishes.
We are all invited! The Begonia Society sponsors an annual trip to Logee's Greenhouse in Danielson, CT - this year on Saturday, Oct. 19, and Fem Society members are invited. This will be a great chance to see the fall foliage and also a large collection of indoor ferns. The bus will leave from the Horticulture Society (128 W. 58th St.) at 8am and return at 6pm. You will need a bag lunch. The bus has a lavatory. To reserve a space send a $35 check (made out to the Begonia Society) to Howard Berg, 18 Highview Terrace, New Canaan, CT 06840. For more info, call Prim at 212/7994616.

John T. Mickel
Chapter Secretary

(Ross, thanks for all your messages. I have not altered my fernet DIGEST preference or method of receipt. This problem, (of receiving individual messages began about two monts ago and I did make several requests to be reinstated into the DIGEST. Your response yesterday/today, are the first acknowledgements - but there is nothing wrong with my subscription preference. Could you kindly post the above information on the DIGEST version for me as I think many individuals will benefit immensely from attending the monthly club meetings as well as get an "insider opportunity" to add plants that may not be readily available at vendors to their collections. Dr. John Mickel is a great speaker - when his turn is up and he does bring in some very prominent guests. Thank you.
Best regards,