RE: Brown Scale on ferns

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] Brown Scale on ferns
  • From: "carol noel" <carolnoel2000@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:06:34 +0000

The greatest thing you can do is BREATHE!   Secondly...on my Hoyas I use
Imidocloprid...a rather benign systemic drench...kills those suckers and
lasts for about 6 months in our rains.  Ever tried them on ferns? As for
ferns...it is every man, woman, child and fern for itself in the
garden!!!  Wait...I could try it on some ferns....and let YOU know. Aloha, Carol

>From: Bob Needham <bneedham@cisco.com> >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net >To:
ferns@hort.net >Subject: [ferns] Brown Scale on ferns >Date: Thu, 9 Sep
2004 18:29:02 -0700 (PDT) > >ferns@hort.net, > >O.K., before I nuke my
plant collection to sve the planet, I figured >that I need to learn a
little bit more about the enemy. That's right, >I'm talking about the
terrorists of the turf, the Taliban of the fern >world, SCALE! > >As soon
as I notice scale, I take the infected plant to a separate room, "The
Hospital". >It's about 50 feet away, and if I was a bug their size with
their >(probably) short lifespan, I figure that's like me trying to walk
from >California to New York without food or water over terrain like the
Grand >Canyon (carpet). So that should work, right? I fastidiously wash
my hands after touching infected plants. I have been treating them with a
Pyrethrin (0.02%) and Piperonyl Butoxide (0.2%) commercial spray that
claims to kill both thrips & scale. I have been diluting it to 50% with
water (adding a drop of liquid dish soap as a surfactant) because it
seems to really whack the ferns. > >When I treat an infected plant, I
spray, then hand-inspect all surfaces with a 10X loupe, scraping up and
disturbing any scale I see with an X-Acto blade, letting my Witches Brew
do it's deadly task! BWAAA-Haa-Haa! This does seem to be effective.
Plants are then inspected every few days, and treated again if necessary.
If the plant shows no more signs of infection after a week or two, it
goes to a separate "Recovery Room" for another week or two for
observation. Plants in these rooms do not touch, and I do more
handwashing than a doctor. If the plants then seem to be "clean" they are
then allowed to return to normal civilian life, providing Oxygen for my
few remaining brain cells. > >O.K., here's the questions: >1) I've
already figured out that Thrips can fly (I've swatted a few and put their
sorry little mangled remains under the ferocious glare of a
stereomicroscope). It's a little like trying to figure out what kind of a
watch it was before a truck ran over it, but if you get enough samples
(and learn to swat gently), one can figure it out eventually. >2) Here's
the main question: All the scale I've seen leads me to believe that they
are pathetic little feeble slimebutts with brains the size of DUST-MOTES,
SO WHY ARE THEY OUTSMARTING ME!@!!!!!!!O.K., O.K., I got a little carried
away there... BREATHE!  O.K., I'm better now. But seriously, folks >