Re: Brown Scale on ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Brown Scale on ferns
  • From: "carol noel" <carolnoel2000@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:12:22 +0000

taDAH...Imidocloprid.  The comman persons' Marathon.  Personally (and
professionslaly) I use the Tree and Shrub drench....1 oz. per gal. of
water.  Dead and doonails!  for a long time!

Yes..whoever mentioned ant control has a large piece of the puzzle.  I
put out little lids from Yogurt containers with _____1.5 teas. Boric
Acid, 1/2C powdered sugar, 1 C water________the ants rush to it, drink
themselves silly, carry it back to feed the Queen and grubs
and....VOILA...no nests!  Recipe is from the Dept. of Hi. Ag.

>From: Betty Hamilton <bkhamilton@earthlink.net> >Reply-To:
ferns@hort.net >To: ferns@hort.net >Subject: Re: [ferns] Brown Scale on
ferns >Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:01:27 -0500 > > Bob, you don't have to
wonder about the horrid suckers, you can point >a warm to hot light at
the adults, they are reputedly sedentary, and >with your loupe watch them
pick up their skirts and head for cooler >climes!  In fact, it is a
horrifying show.  Then there is the mobility >of the crawlers, which I'll
bet is a lot greater than you might >imagine.  They are nothing except a
little blob of body, antennae and >long, long legs.  They would be great
airfoils, as Louis suggests. > There is an insecticide called icpricorde
(not spelled right - I'll >check in morning) that is a root absorbed
systemic, and will kill any >bug that eats the the tissues of a plant
that has been treated with it. >   It is found in a rose food made by
Bayer, along with a systemic >fungicide, and as the sole active
ingredient in GrubX to treat lawns >for ......TADA.......grubs.
Probably other products as well.  Anyway, >I am going to treat my
houseplants while it is still warm here, and try >to clear all the fungus
gnats out while I have the chance.  My guess is >that it will do a number
on scale, too.  The treatment should last for >a week or more, and one
would hope that the various chewing and sucking >pests would come out in
that time, and if not  a second treatment >should do the trick.    Has
anyone else tried this stuff? > >Betty in South Bend IN, >where summer
was long and mild, and the fall is just around the corner! > > > >On Sep
9, 2004, at 8:29 PM, Bob Needham wrote: > > > ferns@hort.net, > > > >
O.K., before I nuke my plant collection to sve the planet, I figured > >
that I need to learn a little bit more about the enemy. That's right, > >
I'm talking about the terrorists of the turf, the Taliban of the fern > >
world, SCALE! > > > > As soon as I notice scale, I take the infected
plant to a separate > > room, "The Hospital". > > It's about 50 feet
away, and if I was a bug their size with their > > (probably) short
lifespan, I figure that's like me trying to walk from > > California to
New York without food or water over terrain like the > > Grand > > Canyon
(carpet). So that should work, right? I fastidiously wash my > > hands
after touching infected plants. I have been treating them with a > >
Pyrethrin (0.02%) and Piperonyl Butoxide (0.2%) commercial spray that > >
claims to kill both thrips & scale. I have been diluting it to 50% > >
with water (adding a drop of liquid dish soap as a surfactant) because >
> it seems to really whack the ferns. > > > > When I treat an infected
plant, I spray, then hand-inspect all > > surfaces with a 10X loupe,
scraping up and disturbing any scale I see > > with an X-Acto blade,
letting my Witches Brew do it's deadly task! > > BWAAA-Haa-Haa! This does
seem to be effective. Plants are then > > inspected every few days, and
treated again if necessary. If the plant > > shows no more signs of
infection after a week or two, it goes to a > > separate "Recovery Room"
for another week or two for observation. > > Plants in these rooms do not
touch, and I do more handwashing than a > > doctor. If the plants then
seem to be "clean" they are then allowed to > > return to normal civilian
life, providing Oxygen for my few remaining > > brain cells. > > > >
O.K., here's the questions: > > 1) I've already figured out that Thrips
can fly (I've swatted a few > > and put their sorry little mangled
remains under the ferocious glare > > of a stereomicroscope). It's a
little like trying to figure out what > > kind of a watch it was before a
truck ran over it, but if you get > > enough samples (and learn to swat
gently), one can figure it out > > eventually. > > 2) Here's the main
question: All the scale I've seen leads me to > > believe that they are
pathetic little feeble slimebutts with brains > > the size of DUST-MOTES,
SO WHY ARE THEY OUTSMARTING ME!@!!!!!!!O.K., > > O.K., I got a little
carried away there... BREATHE!  O.K., I'm better > > now. But seriously,
folks > > > >
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive! > >
http://www.hort.net/funds/ >