Re: Brown Scale on ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Brown Scale on ferns
  • From: Bonsaigai37@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:55:53 EDT

Hmmm... I think I read somewhere that Imidocloprid wasn't effective on hard
scale species.  Are the results of everyone proving this to be wrong?  I'll
douse everything.  SCALES!  "I hates'em."   The little creepy buggers just
infested one of my Microsorium and one of my Colysis.  I watched the crawlers move
around for a few seconds and Neemed the lot of them.  The Colysis membranacea
really disliked the Neem oil.   All the newer fronds wilted and fell off.

One word of caution:  one report I read stated that usage of Imid. can cause
rebound infestation of mites.  It seems the predators get killed, leaving the
plants open to mite attack and uncontrolled population growth.  I found this
to be true on certain succulents that I sprayed earlier this year.

Frondly,
Michael