Re: Brown Scale on ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Brown Scale on ferns
  • From: Kyle799706@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:44:38 -0400

Bob,
  There is a winged stage of the scale....yes winged....i did a Paper on it for Orchid Pests in IPM at College last year...I was shocked to find this out...no wonder plants you wash, spray, drown with hort oils and pyrethrins show scale a month later...but there is good news...
   I just discovered www.greenmethods.com a beneficial insect place right next door in N.H. that sells minute wasps that feed on scale and the wasps are the size of thrips so they don't bother you at all. but the hunt down scale slide their egg depositor under the edge of the scale shell and lay a egg.....and then aliens the scale version occurs...the larvae eats the scale bursts out and flies off to find another scale....hehehe...so check it out and hang in there

Mr. Kyle Fletcher-Baker, Yarmouth, me.(240 houseplants and counting)