Re: Brown Scale on ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Brown Scale on ferns
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:03:11 -0400

I have used Safer's Insecticidal Soap on scale on other plants with
good success, but have not tried it on ferns as I was concerned about
an adverse reaction like you had with the Neem - I have found that
hort. oil does not agree with quite a few plants, so don't even
contemplate using that on ferns.  Anybody used this on ferns
successfully?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Bonsaigai37@aol.com
>
> Hmmm... I think I read somewhere that Imidocloprid wasn't effective
on hard
> scale species.  Are the results of everyone proving this to be
wrong?  I'll
> douse everything.  SCALES!  "I hates'em."   The little creepy
buggers just
> infested one of my Microsorium and one of my Colysis.  I watched
the crawlers move
> around for a few seconds and Neemed the lot of them.  The Colysis
membranacea
> really disliked the Neem oil.   All the newer fronds wilted and
fell off.

> One word of caution:  one report I read stated that usage of Imid.
can cause