Re: Fw: (ferns) Polypodium vulgare, summer-deciduous

  • Subject: Re: Fw: [ferns] (ferns) Polypodium vulgare, summer-deciduous
  • From: "Brian Swale" <bj@caverock.net.nz>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:16:42 +1200
  • R0c0-path: <owner-ferns@hort.net>

Hi Paulie

Now you have uncovered an interesting fact.

The Polypodium vulgare here definitely has its sori on the underside of the
frond.  I have never seen then on the dorsal side.  I wonder if these are
actually the same species?

I call our plants here "summer-deciduous" because during the dryer summer
period, the fronds all wither and fall away. The plants do not produce new
fronds until autumn when the soils get moister again.

Personally, I am not tempted to eat any fern. I  know that some species,
mainly of Asplenium, are eaten by Maori here, but also it is well known that
other species eg Pteridium esculentum, are carcinogenous. I have plenty of
other foods to use.

Sincerely,

Brian

Send reply to:  	"Paulie" <ritchey@charter.net>