Re: "Diplazium wichuriae var. amabile"?

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] "Diplazium wichuriae var. amabile"?
  • From: "Judith I Jones" <judith@fancyfronds.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:46:41 -0700
  • R0c0ed: (from majordomo@localhost) by lorien.mallorn.com (8.11.7/8.11.7) id i8N1QX130411; Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:26:33 -0500

Hello Anthony and Otto,
    I have been growing Diplazium wichurae for several years and it is quite
different from Deparia japonica.  Your e-mail promted me to bring a frond in
and check it with the newest flora I have for Japan and I see that I am
growing the var. amabilie form.
    It has a long creeping rhizome with a coriaceous slightly shiny frond of
about 12".  This variety is the dwarf form of wichurae and the pinnae are
broad, not falcate, shallowly lobed, and double serrate at the margin.  It
is endemic to S. Shikoku and Kyushu in Japan whereas the species is found in
Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, and China.  Does anyone grow just Diplaziium
wichurae?
Judith I. Jones