Blechnum, Doodia

  • Subject: [ferns] Blechnum, Doodia
  • From: "Brian Swale" <bj@caverock.net.nz>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:09:05 +1200
  • R0c0-path: <owner-ferns@hort.net>

Hello Paul,

It'd be a pleasure to provide you with some B. durum spore. That would be
some-what travelling full circle, I'd say.

The parent plant of the two I have, and it is now about 6 - 7 years old, was
grown by a commercial outfit called "Native Creations". You haven't
encountered them by any chance have you?  Haven't seen their labels
around for a while.  These places come and go. Ephemeral, is the word.

They used to sell to a retail outlet near me that vacated their site when the
rent got too high at renewal time. Oderings, and I probably bought it there, or
at a place on Ferry Road you might know.

Other choice ferns they grew that I bought, include Todea barbara, Osmunda
regalis, Woodwardia radicans, Pellaea falcata, Dryopteris cycladina,
Dryopteris erythrosora, Dryopteris wallichiana, Lastreopsis hispida, Cyathea
australis, Cyathea smithii, Pellaea sagittata ( I think), and Lindsaea
microphylla. And Dryopteris sieboldii which has refused to grow new fronds
for me. Possibly also Adiantum aethiopicum in addition to one I caught near
Hick's Bay. I also bought a Cyathea cooperi, but i don't remember who grew
it.

Come to think of it, I must just about have shares in the place =|;-)>

I'd better come clean :-)

Native Creations is the former name for "Fern Factor" !!

Pellaea sagittata was sold as Pellaea trifoliata, and it was total frustration at
being unable to find a reference book that would enable me to figure out the
correct name for this plant that got me going on the world ferns database. Dr
A R Smith was able to help me when I sent him a scanned image.

Actually, just now I used a hitherto forgotten part of my brain and expanded
Paul's e-mail address to come up with   http://www.fernfactor.co.nz
and guess what, there's even an image labelled Paul !

So there we are. It's a small world.

And; Blechnum durum in my garden where I have it squeezed up near a large
Cordyline australis ( a giant lily that grows like a tree ) in about 70% full light
and direct sunlight for only about 2 -3 hours a day, is a compact circular fern
measuring about 1 x 1 metre or 3 x 3 feet, (that is, height x diameter or vice -
versa if you prefer). Possibly not terrarium material, but YMMV. It grows
stiffly erect, not drooping laxly like B. novae-zealandiae.

It is unlike any other New Zealand Blechnum, but a little like Blechnum
cycladina from the Juan Fernandez Islands.

Yes, Paul's fern nursery is about 25 miles from where I sit typing this.

I'd love to do a swap Paul; an aspera for some spore. Or spore for spore.

I DO have a spare child B. durum I can give you as it has arisen in a spot
that is not a good idea in the long run. As well as spore.

Brian

Paul wrote