Re: Blechnum, Doodia

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Blechnum, Doodia
  • From: "Judith I Jones" <judith@fancyfronds.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:27:17 -0700

Hello Brian,
    In the old days of snail mail I corresponded about methods of spore
sowing and sent spores to Native Creations.  It is nice to hear that they
are flourishing and producing some nice selections.
    If Paul doesn not find any Doodia aspera I picked some fertile fronds
yesterday and there are more developing so I should be able to come up with
a bit for you if necessary.
    I grow Blechnum wattsii, minus, and discolor but I am interested in
trying any Blechnums that seem to be somewhat frost tolerant if you come
across any.It is amazing how many sub-tropicals will survive just a modest
frost if it doesn't last to long.  I have Asplenium goudeyi which took a low
of 25F and was frozen for a week with a high around 30F and didn't even
develop a blemish.  I was impressed-I expected it to cllapse as soon as the
greenhouse warmed up.  That was my "heated" greenhouse.
Judith I. Jones