Re: Constructing a greenhouse

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Constructing a greenhouse
  • From: "Deep Roots Nursery" <drew@deeprootsnursery.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:57:36 -0400

Doret,
I've got just over 21,000 sq ft of greenhouse space in Southern Georgia USA,
so I deal with this problem fairly regularly....

If possible, the best solution is to have outdoor shade areas where you can
move all of the plants once it gets very hot.
If not, an exhaust fan is required.  Each of my houses have 2, 1/2hp exhaust
fans.  They do not cost that much, and if possible run them off of 220....
you may need a thermostat and fan junction box.  This is essentially a lil
box to trip the fans into running when the thermostat goes off.
I also have cool-cells, which are essentially a 4inch thick corrugated fiber
that you spray water onto.  The exhaust fans pull the water into the
greenhouse which moistens and cools the house.
Unfortunatly here in Georgia the humidity is generally 90% + in the morning
and 75% at midday so the cool cells do not work as effectively as they would
in dryer climates.  I beleive you are in South Africa where I assume it is
fairly dry, so I would think these could drop the temp as much as 10degrees
F.

Let me know if there is something more specific you'd like to know.

Although I agree with Bob Needham on the use of ridge vents, this requires a
greater knowledge of construction and you would need to stay alert to the
weather changes.  I've seen many a ridge vent get blown around during a
flash storm.

Drew
Deep Roots Nursery
www.deeprootsnursery.com