Re: Fadyenia - Dotted fern

Hello Jolanda,

From what I can see here w/o my books at hand, Fadyenia is a small dryopteroid genus of the West-Indies indeed. Mobot gives three species, F. hookeri, F. Prolifera and F. fadyenii.

The genus name also has been used illegitimately for the dogwood Garrya, and is still in use for some snails.

Google returns me ca. 900 results for "Fadyenia - Garrya" (so incl. the snails). Pictures can be found at http://www.botanyphotos.net/thumbnails.php?album=47

I assume a description and distribution may be found in Proctor's Ferns of Jamaica. Would you like me to copy that for you?

Jolanda wrote:
Hello Fernatics,

I came across the genus name 'Fadyenia' - the dotted fern, which is
apparently a monotypical genus, native to the West Indies and Puerto
Rico. That is all the information I could get on it, even with a 'Google
search'. What is the species name and where can I view a photograph of
this fern? Any other information on the fern will also be appreciated.

Frondly regards

Jolanda Nel
South Africa