Re: Blechnum penna-marina

Hi Jolanda,

B. penna-marina, in my country of origin at least ( NZ ), grows in a lot of different places, so what your plant can deal with might depend on its origin. I've got a big bucket filled with a form grown from spore I collected in the high country near Lake Tennyson ( northern South Island ). It thrives in the hot weather ( 28-32 C ) we get during the best part of our summers and is fairly tolerant of dry winds, direct sun and the bucket drying out. I've also got sporelings of a taller form I collected in the bottom of a bush gully, I doubt very much that these would be anywhere near as hardy once fully grown.

I think there's still a fertile frond on the hardy form - only the one produced this year, perhaps because of our cool wet summer - if it's still there after the weekend's winds I can send it to you if you like. Should still be viable spore in it.

John in Sweden.