Re: Sanguinaria canadensis 'Multiplex

Besides a lovely flower, the nice thing about 'Multiplex' is that,
being sterile, the flowers last longer.  The species flowers and
they're gone so fast you'd best not blink.  Even so, I would not be
without this plant.  It has really nice foliage that stays around
most of the season.  If it gets really dry, it will go dormant by
midsummer, but if it is given adequate moisture, the leaves last
until early fall.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Kitty Morrissy <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
>
> Thanks Lynda,
> I'm glad you're happy with them.  Mine should arrive in a week or
so and
> now you've got me champing at the bit!  I bet Seneca Hill sold out
on
> these.  After investing in Multiplex myself this spring I then
found a
> Tennessee version (petal count midway between species and
Multiplex) in
> Darrel Probst's catalogue.  I had to put it off for this year, but
maybe
> next.
>
> Sometimes the reason I find these things is that I believe that
often the
> best plants can be found in catalogues without pictures.  Don't get
me
> wrong - Plant Delights and others with pics can set me on a binge.
But if
> people take the time to read through catalogues like Munchkin,
Seneca and
> Surry, and then cross check for pics in reference book or via
internet,
> they might be surprised at some of the fabulous finds out there.
If you
> become familiar with the nursery, you can go on description alone.
If Gene
> finds it to be a tantalizing plant, I probably will, too.
>
> Believe me, I have benefitted greatly by being on this list, too.
All of