From: Island Jim [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:46:45 -0400
Subject: [CHAT] confederate jasmine, chocolate pudding, and stuff

donna has once again been kind enough to post my pictures. this time
it's <br>the confederate jasmine [trachlospermum jasminoides] covered
pine tree. <br>i'm quite pleased with this display. i have similar ones
working on the two <br>trees adjacent to this one--including one with a
variegated confederate <br>jasmine--and two more in the back yard. <br>

    http://illianagardenpond.org/jimsphotos.htm<br><br>our

spring is in full glory right now. the jacaranda and royal poinciana
gerberas, <br>geraniums, begonias, hibiscuses, allamandas, jatrophas,
and all the bedding <br>plants that survive here--petunias, marigolds,
impatiens, among others. and <br>the caladiums, which died back only a
man--charles wayne babcock, fondly known as chuckie--and his lovely
was <br>prune up the king

sago. the king has always had one pup, but now that chuck <br>has
removed the old fronds, we have discovered that it has two more pups.
that exciting.<br><br>juanita limbed up the black sapote seedling, and
that's when we discovered <br>it had set fruit for the first time. for
those who do not know the black <br>sapote, it's a mexican relative of
our native persimmon. a very handsome <br>tree with large glossy dark
green leaves.<br><br>it is also called the "chocolate pudding" tree
because the fruit, which <br>look somewhat like avocados on the outside,
contain a soft, milk-chocolate <br>colored and pudding-textured flesh
that is sweet and quite tasty. it does <br>not taste like chocolate, but
it has that same kind of dark intoxicating <br>taste [controlling words]
that chocolate has. anyway, i'm happy it has set <br>fruit. it is a
4-year-old seedling, started from a seed i picked up at <br>marie selby
bota

nical
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>