Re: Sanguinaria canadensis 'Multiplex

> From: James R. Fisher <garrideb@well.com>
> It's on my list also; when is it best planted (spring vs. fall),
> do you-all think, or does it matter ?
----------

If you can find it in a pot, spring is OK, but otherwise (bare
rhizomes) I'd go for fall, myself.  If, however, I got my hands on
'Multiplex' again at any time of year, I'd plant it:-)  Friend gave
me a bit last summer; I planted; squirrels dug; I replanted, and it
tried to throw a new leaf but it was late by then and I have not seen
it this spring, so the poor baby may have exhausted itself...thank
you squirrels!

I'd be leery of getting it in spring from any place (like Springhill)
who tend to dry off their bare root plants and hold them in
refrigerated storage all winter.  Go for a good nursery source.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade