Re: now retirement- Found ya again!!1

> In a message dated 4/11/03 12:16:19 PM, justme@prairieinet.net writes:
> <<Wondering if those retired on the list... were you a gardener before, or
> is that how you adjusted to retirement. >>

Even though I'm well past "retirement age," I'm not retired.  I still do
free-lance indexing, even if not as much as I did a few years ago.  Many of
my contacts have retired, and some publishers mistakenly think "word-search"
indexes are adequate.
So much for that.  I have gardened all my life.  I can remember as a small
child being fascinated by the flower-beds  in our yard and what grew in them.
 The grandmother who raised me was an early "career woman" who first ran a
private kindergarten, and then in the 30's helped develop the government's
nursery school system in the South.
There was a white woman (deep South, remember - sorta a Snopes type) who did
our yard work, and she used to say "If the baby (that was me) plants it, it
will grow."
  When my dh retired a few years back, he declared that he was going to "get
the garden organized."  He had lots of plans for retirement - going back to
college to get another degree, organize my garden, learn to cook, etc., but
he soon developed a second career.  When he retired the second time, he
didn't mention nearly so many of those ambitious things.  Instead, he got
involved in a number of volunteer activities - he is on the board of five
different non-profit organizations - and hasn't time to do things like
gardening.  That's all right - he has always been good to dig holes, which
I'm not good at because of a bum ankle, but that's about it.  He does like to
garden to look nice - but would really rather it be neater and more
"organized" than my conglomerates.  I guess it's in the genes.  I didn't grow
up with my father, but he came from a farming family (taught school until he
had a heart attack at 53, then went back to farming and lived to be 80).  Now
I can't wait for spring to finally come.  Today was warmer but rainy - maybe
tomorrow will be the day.  Auralie