Re: Stylophorum diphyllum was; Artemesia 'Limelight' NOW Mugwort

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Stylophorum diphyllum was; Artemesia 'Limelight' NOW Mugwort
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 01:45:55 -0400

> From: Kitty Morrissy <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
> Wood Poppy:  Is this Stylophorum diphyllum - aka Celandine Poppy?
Big
> leaves, yellow flower?  I love it and so far it has stayed put, but
I have
> heard it to be a thug.
---------
For me, this seeds around a lot, but it's easy to pull if I don't
want it where it puts itself...I think the amount of seeding around
may have to do with climate.  In a small garden, in a salubrious
climate, it could be considered a thug, but I have a lot of ground to
cover, so welcome it almost everywhere it shows up.

Actually, even though it seeds around for me, I don't know if I'd put
it in the thug class...it's nowhere near as prolific as some asters,
the common violet and a few other things I spend inordinate numbers
of hours weeding out of everywhere forever.  If one has the patience
to remove the interesting whitish football shaped seedpods, then that
takes care of the seeding about.  It also makes the plant continue to
bloom.  I did it once to a few plants, to see what happened, and had
those plants blooming almost all summer.  You need to do this before
the seedpods get mature, which seems to trigger a 'no more bloom'
mechanism in the plant.  If it can't set seed, it keeps on trying by
producing more (tho' smaller) flowers.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade