Re: Clivia bloom was: Island Jim photos link.... new pics

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Clivia bloom was: Island Jim photos link.... new pics
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 01:50:44 -0400

Now, that is very interesting, Lynda.  Hmmmm...wonder if I give mine
more sun this summer and feed it more religiously whether it will
bloom again.....I was assuming it needed to be shaded from direct
sunlight...seems from what you're saying I'm wrong again!

Mine has 2 offsets that seem to be coming straight from the main mass
of roots.  Did you remove yours?  If so, how?  I've been reluctant to
muck around with those fleshy roots for fear the plant would object
by dying on me:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Lynda Young <lyoung@grindertaber.com>
> Hmmm, interesting.  I have a clivia that stays in the house all
year
> long and blooms every two or three months.  From what I'm reading
here
> that sounds out of character for a clivia, much to my delight.  It
does
> get good light - we have lots of windows, including a window wall
on the
> south side of the room.  We moved it up one pot size about a year
ago
> after it sent up three offsets and threatened to bust out of the
pot.  I
> do treat it to water to which I have added orchid fertilizer (water
my
> orchids by submerging in the sink to thoroughly moisten the potting
> medium and then use the same water on my houseplants. I change the
> orchid fertilizer depending on the time of year and whether they're
in
> bud or bloom, but that doesn't seem to effect the rest of plants.)
> wish all my indoor guys performed as well as that clivia.  Now, if
the
> yellow ones would just come down in price.  Sigh.
>
> Lynda
> Zone 7 - West TN

On
> Behalf Of Marge Talt